Equivalent fractions don’t have to be confusing and difficult. These 30 equivalent fraction task cards will have your students completely engaged and challenged as they create pattern block pictures equal to a given fraction amount. AMAZINGLY EFFECTIVE!
For a quick video peek inside, click the link below.
Importantly, students even challenge themselves as they dig deep into fraction concepts and understandings!
The activities use the proportional relationships between Pattern Blocks to build and challenge fraction knowledge. Each task allows for individual creativity while building student understanding of fractions! Perfect for motivating students.
They are RIGOROUS and hands-on while still being lots of FUN!
After completing the center activities, even my struggling math students:
- understood equivalent and improper fractions as well as mixed numbers
- could name equivalent fractions between halves, thirds, and sixths
- were able to visualize adding and subtracting halves, thirds, and sixths
- could visualize common denominators
- accurately added and subtracted halves, thirds, and sixths by simply vizualizing them
Then, when I directly taught these same concepts, students already had background knowledge that helped them comprehend at a much deeper level. The depth of their understanding was amazing! They could answer fractional questions “in their heads”. Additionally, they could automatically apply their understandings and make connections to other fractional concepts that I had not yet taught.
💗Students’ ability to visualize benchmark fractions was truly impressive!
In addition, each activity may be completed in multiple ways for differentiation!
Here’s What’s Included
- 30 different fraction tasks
- Answer Key for Challenges 21-30. Challenges 1-20 are open-ended
- A Convince Me Page for Justifying Answers
- Student Work Samples
- An Assessment
- An Answer Key for the Assessment
- Essential Questions Posters
- Enduring Understandings Posters
- Teacher Notes and Tips
- Triangle Grid Paper for Student Support
- The activities are aligned with Common Core Standards 3.NF.1, 4.NF.1, 4.NF.2, 4.NF.3, and 5.NF.1
- The only materials necessary are center activities, Pattern Blocks, math journals, and pencils.
- Students choose an activity and complete the required design in at least one way.
- They trace their design in their math journal or onto the included triangle paper.
- Students write a “convince me” statement that explains how their design matches the challenge activity. You can have students color the design to match the Pattern Blocks used.
- Just laminate or use sheet protectors and use them year after year!
❤️ Why you’ll L-O-V-E these equivalent fraction activities!
- “A+++ One of my most favorite resources EVER!!!!” –Shauna
- “I examined quite a few fraction pattern block activities before I found and purchased yours! Your creative tasks won me over quickly!” –Dianna
- “Fantastic resource, I used this with my weaker 4th class girls to reinforce their understanding of fractions (although I am now planning to use it for the rest of the class). The girls went into the exercise confused about fractions and absolutely fed up with them. When they finished they were clamoring to do more. They loved it, very hands-on.” –Kate
- “Love the “Convince me” part of every task. Simply brilliant!” –I Heart Math
- “…They challenged themselves to come up with different ways to create the fractions! Our principal & superintendent did a walk-through during this lesson. They both thought it was a fabulous hands-on way to explore fractions!” -Sharon
✋ Looking for more engaging math activities? Check out these popular resources!
- Equivalent Fractions Task Cards Hands-On and Editable
- Early Finishers: Activities for Gifted, Homework, & Extensions
- Equivalent Fraction Games, Comparing Fractions, & More – Mystery Themed
- Word Problems Multiple Operations
Thanks for taking your time to peek inside this resource!
Have fun Mathing!
This product is intended for personal use in one classroom only. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses.