Engage your students with these hands-on equivalent fraction challenges! These free Fraction Task Cards are creative and allow students at all levels to be successful. In addition, the activities are a powerful tool in helping students gain fraction understandings independently!
This freebie is part of a complete Equivalent Fraction Task Card Packet that includes a set of 30 different tasks, student work samples, an assessment, an answer key, and Essential Questions Posters ✚ more! Click the link below to see the complete set.
Each activity allows for individual creativity while building student understanding of fractions!
The activities use the proportional relationships between Pattern Blocks to strengthen and challenge fraction knowledge.
►After completing the center activities, even my struggling math students:
- Understood equivalent and improper fractions, mixed numbers
- Knew how to name equivalent fractions between halves, thirds, and sixths
- Were able to visualize adding and subtracting halves, thirds, and sixths
- Recognized common denominators
- Could add and subtract halves, thirds, and sixths
When I directly taught these same concepts, students already had background knowledge that helped them comprehend more deeply!
Students may complete the challenges in multiple ways for differentiation.
This free sample includes four different center activities, a Convince Me page for justifying answers, and one student work sample.
- The activities are aligned with Common Core Standards 3.NF.1, 4.NF.1, 4.NF.2, 4.NF.3, and 5.NF.1
- The only materials necessary are center activities, Pattern Blocks, math journals, and pencils.