Would you like free multi-digit multiplication worksheets for your 3rd, 4th, or 5th graders? Do they miss steps as they solve problems and lack confidence and understanding?
Sometimes we forget that not only do the Littles like to cut and glue but so do our big kids. To give my students extra practice with multi-digit multiplication, I created these cut and glue worksheets. And, they love them. They want more. I think your students will, too!
After teaching students with hands-on base ten blocks and visuals ( the CPA model of concrete to pictorial to abstract), they needed lots of practice to feel confident and understand multiplying large numbers. These free multi-digit worksheets cover multiplying 2-digit times 1-digit (2 pages), 3-digit times 1-digit, and 3-digit times 2-digit problems. And, allowing students to cut and glue makes the worksheets a little more engaging and different from a standard worksheet.
What’s Included in These Multi-Digit Multiplication Worksheets:
There are 4 pages of cut and glue multi-digit multiplication practice.
- Page one includes 2-digit times 1 digit problems.
- For page two, students have 3-digit times 1 digit problems.
- Page three and four include 2-digit times 2-digit problems. I included 2 of these multi-digit multiplication worksheets since this skill is the transition into students having to apply serious place value thinking as they also perform multiplication. This is usually the most difficult skill for my students. For 2-digit times 1 digit and 3-digit times 1 digit, the place value thinking and multiplication process are always easier for my kids.
⭐ Raising the Thinking Level and the Rigor:
Before I have students begin the multi-digit multiplication worksheets, we observe/study the page to see what we notice. This takes about one minute of wait time on my part. Then I ask questions such as:
- Look at the pumpkins at the bottom of the page. Which problem do you think will have the greatest product? Why?
- Which problem do you think will have the smallest product? Convince me that your thinking is correct.
- Which problems will have an even answer? How do you know?
- Will any of the problems have a 5 in the ones place? How do you know?
Instruct students to note their conjectures and as they solve the problems be aware of their thinking. Were they on track? Was there something they should have considered and didn’t? Did they notice something else as they worked?
◼️ These types of questions help students think about what the answers might be and not just “get an answer” to finish the page. They will deepen the understanding of the multiplication process, raise the rigor, and improve number sense. Improved estimation skills is also a benefit!
Ask these and/or similar questions in small group or whole group depending on the students’ assignment and level of understanding.
How to Complete Multi-Digit Multiplication Worksheets
Students will need scissors, glue, and a workspace for computing. I like to have my students write in their math journals instead of on whiteboards. This enables me to help students analyze their work before it is erased. We can find errors and diagnose any repeated errors.
- Students solve each problem on the pumpkins at the bottom of the page first.
- They find their solution underneath the pumpkins at the top of the page and write the problem that matches.
- Then, they cut out the pumpkins at the bottom of the page and glue them to the correct pumpkin at the top.
► Note that these worksheets are a great self-checking activity! If students have an answer incorrect, they will not find their solution in their pumpkin patch. If this happens, they simply go back to the problem and try again, or look at their work to find their error!
❤️ Click this link to go to my Free Printables Library, subscribe, and grab these Free Multi-Digit Multiplication Worksheets!
You might also like this pack of Digit Fidget Task Cards that applies logical reasoning to multiplication! The task cards are super engaging with tons of multiplication practice and mathematical thinking! Your kids will be thrilled to practice multiplication in a different way as they think, reason, and fidget with the digits! So much learning fun! On TpT HERE or from My Online Shop Here!
And as always,
Do you need FREE resources that make teaching and learning math fun? Join the Sum Math Friends teaching community to receive access to over 70 FREE resources in our growing resource library filled with printables and activities for your kindergarten, first, second, third, fourth and fifth graders. Just click the picture below to sign up and have great FREE resources at your fingertips and ready-to-go!
Yes! Give me access to the Free Resource Library
Join our Sum Math Friends Free Library! New resources are added frequently! You'll also receive my FREE Early Finisher Challenges plus a weekly freebie and updates! ❤️